airyxOS Tanuki v0.3.0
airyxOS 0.3.0 (Tanuki) BETA Release
This is the first beta release of airyxOS! Many things are still missing and there are many rough edges, but it is mostly stable and illustrates the project direction. Highlights of release 0.3.0 are:
- Default application bundles: Firefox, Terminal, and Kate
- A new AppKit-based ObjectiveC installer (Install airyxOS.app)
- Java SDK 17.0.1+12
- Updated to FreeBSD 12.3RC base OS and kernel
- Improvements to AppKit including better support of color catalogs and color lists, more Mac-like default colors, support for pop-up menus, fixed scrollbar icons, improved font handling, system key bindings, improved NIB support, fixed glitches in window resizing and moving, and more.
- Updated many packages
There are still several major limitations that make it less than ideal.
- There is no Dock
- There is no GUI to easily configure WiFi devices
- Contention between Filer and Plasmashell can cause a black screen
- Lots of inconsistencies and incompatibilities
- Very few apps available
Please see wiki.airyx.org for system requirements, install instructions and where to find things.
Ask questions or give feedback in the Discussions area. Please report any bugs to the Issues tracker. Thanks!
OpenJDK 17.0.1+12 (2021-10-30) built for airyxOS and usable as a bootstrap JDK for further builds.
This is a vanilla FreeBSD JDK other than being packaged for airyxOS. It does not have any menu, font, or other system integration yet.
Airyx 0.3.0pre3 (Tanuki) ALPHA Preview Release
This is an early Developer Preview release. It is incomplete and alpha quality, but will give you an idea where airyxOS is headed.
Tanuki is the next iteration of Airyx, replacing the Atomic PoC series. The full release notes are available at https://airyx.org/releases/
Updated 2021-10-16 to 0.3.0pre3
0.3.0pre has been run on VMware Fusion, Proxmox 7, VirtualBox, an old Dell Inspiron laptop, and a few other machines with varying degrees of success.
Airyx 0.2.2 (Atomic) Preview Release
This is a Developer Preview release.
0.2.2 is the first build of Airyx based on the helloSystem components and FuryBSD LiveCD installer. It can be run or installed from the ISO and should have better hardware support, in addition to the slick helloSystem desktop and applications. It switches back to using pre-built FreeBSD packages for most things in the interest of compatibility and speeding up development (although I hate that things are shipped in /usr/local!)
If you find the swapped Ctrl and Option (Alt) keys annoying, you can change it from the System menu -> Applications (Preferences) -> Keyboard.
Changes from v0.2.1:
- DBusKit (work in progress)
- partial support for global menus in NSApplication via DBusKit
- project renamed